Thursday 27 August 2015

Friday 24th July

8:45am

The toilet here is now well and truly fly-infested, which is a little bit off-putting. The dilemma is do I need the toilet enough to risk being bitten on the bum by some truly nasty looking bugs? Unfortunately the answer is usually yes...
      The bugs are one of the only things that bother me here. They are constantly everywhere, always trying their best to munch you. But the bugs aren't all bad - yesterday afternoon and this morning we've also seen some beautiful butterflies, who happily rest on your water bottles and your fingers, fluttering around contentedly.
     One of the other things I'm getting quite frustrated by is how simple things become so much more complicated. Like getting ready for bed. Sounds easy. In the dark, in a hammock, surrounded by trip hazards - surprisingly difficult. But kind of fun in its own way.
     Other than that I'm pleasantly surprised by the jungle. I expected to find it a lot harder than I have so far. I might even go so far as to say that I'm going to miss it - especially now I've got used to my hammock!
      I was woken up this morning in the same way as I was yesterday - by the call to prayer from the mosque in the village downriver. The first time I heard it, when it was still pitch black and I had no idea what the time was, and all I could hear were these weird wailing noises coming from God knows where, it was really creepy. But this morning I was prepared for it so it wasn't too bad! Being out in the open means that even without the call to prayer I would be awake as soon as it gets light anyway, which is long before 6:00am. I really don't mind being up early though - if I'm not, I feel like I'm missing out!
    We're just now about to head off for project work, going back to the same clearing we were in yesterday afternoon so that we can do our bit to counter the deforestation in this area.

7:00pm

Our last day of project work is complete! This morning we headed back to the clearing along with bags full of saplings ready for planting. We each had to do about 4; digging out the hole, placing the sapling in, and then covering up the rest of the hole again. It wasn't hard work, but it's been a lot hotter today than it was yesterday, so everyone was beginning to struggle a little in the heat. We actually didn't get to plant all the trees that we had as we ran out of room, so there was nothing more we could do for the morning.
     Lunch was late being brought down the river so we were all extremely grateful when it did turn up and gulped it down before heading out for the afternoon. We got on the boats once more to head about 5 minutes downriver to the eco-camp which is open to tourists and is partly funded by Camps International. There, we were briefed about the camp and how it operates to help save the local eco-systems, including how they're working to remove an invasive weed, salvinia, from the lakes. This was our job: to get on two pontoons and help scoop out the weed, placing it in bags which were then brought back to shore. This is a really important job because the weed is choking up the lake, stopping sunlight and oxygen from getting to it and leading to the death of the marine life.
     At around 4:00pm we headed back to camp again. A lot of the group have decided that a few days without a shower is enough, but so many of them are coming back from the 'shower' a little disgruntled that I've decided maybe I can last one more day. For the showers you have to fill up a bucket from the taps, which are a little temperamental, carry the bucket into one of the tarpaulin cubicles and then scoop the water out over you. All while certain of the boys are stood up in the main area, which is on a hill, trying to look down into the showers and having a right laugh.... Yeah, maybe I can last one more day... However, I did decide to wash my hair using one of the buckets, which wasn't too bad and did actually make me feel a lot better, so at least I feel kind of clean! Baby wipes will have to do for the rest of me for now...
     And tonight is already our last night in the jungle - just as I'm getting used to the ways of the hammock (which is actually really comfy once you're settled). I will probably head to bed soon (it's so dark that it already feels really late, even though it's not even 8) as we have to leave camp at 6 tomorrow morning to journey back to the jetty for breakfast, and then it's on to Sepilok!














No comments:

Post a Comment