Monday 3 August 2015

Monday 6th July

3:00pm

I'm sitting here relaxing in the sun with a couple of the others. There's several of us who aren't diving, but the ones who are still going ahead are currently out at sea, so those of us still on shore have the chance for some much-needed relaxation time.
     This morning we slept in and only just woke up in time for breakfast, so it was a bit of rush for us all! However, breakfast was a nice surprise of baked beans on toast, so I'm glad we made it! In the morning I took the opportunity to do my first lot of washing as well, which was definitely an experience (and I admit that I probably shouldn't have left it this long - all my clothes barely fit in the bucket...). A lot of the mud from the project work hasn't come out, but I think we've all accepted that being a bit dirty is just a fact of life on this expedition!
      I sat for a bit on the jetty too and just looked out to the sea, which is such an incredible sight. The sea is beautiful, but it's marred a little by the rubbish which can always be seen floating around on the surface. At home you never really think about it, but out here, when you're faced with what should be one of the most beautiful places on earth, you can't help but notice that humans are destroying it.
     Later in the morning seven of us went sea kayaking. I was in a kayak with Miles and we steamed ahead of the others (I'd like to think it was down to my efforts, but we all know it was most likely completely down to Miles). We followed the edge of the island round, and it was great fun, just drifting along on the endless sea, past the coastline full of jungle. We weren't out for too long though as we were going against the current and it was tiring work. I managed to scrape my leg all down the side of the boat as I got out when we were back in shore, which is a bit painful, but worth it!
   After lunch we sat in the main cabin and began to write 'Sophie's Sagas' - a record of all my little misfortunes throughout the trip so far, so that I can laugh at them rather than dwell on the negatives. Everyone finds it quite funny, so at least I'm providing some entertainment!














No comments:

Post a Comment