Tuesday 25 August 2015

Tuesday 14th July

6:08pm

We were all woken up really early this morning thanks to the noise from one of the other groups who were getting up to go on the sunrise walk up Bongkud Hill. It was really annoying as it woke us up much earlier than we needed to be, and we tried asking them to be quiet without much success (I even spoke to their leader), but I suppose once you're up, you're up; it's not the end of the world!
     For the morning session we were working on the student pathway by the school again, so I was on water bucket duty once more. However, due to the water shortage, the tap we usually collect the water from isn't working, so instead we had to take the buckets down to the stream nearby to collect the water instead. If we'd been at the kindergarten it wouldn't have been a problem as there the water is drawn out of a tank which collects rainwater, but ironically having a more sophisticated tap caused more issues! The stream was really close by though so it wasn't too much hassle.
    We were split up this morning, with 13 of us working on the student pathway and the remaining 13 up at the kindergarten. It was quite a short morning session for us, as we only had to mix 4 batches of cement this morning and we managed to finish fairly quickly, so we got back to camp at about 10. The others at the kindergarten didn't get back until later so several of us took advantage of the near empty camp to get some washing done.
    In the afternoon we were split between more concreting and teaching and the rest of the day continued as usual.
    After dinner I spoke to Dave about how we can try and manage how I'm feeling as best as possible. Some of the things were just common sense, and to be honest there's only so much you can do to try and combat fatigue, but we've got to try. Our plan included: continuing to drink as much as possible (although I'm pretty on top of this one already); eat mid-morning snacks such as flapjacks from the little shop in camp to try and keep my energy levels up; eat mints before meals to try and combat the nausea I've started feeling whenever I eat; keep myself as cool as possible by spending time in the shade and wearing my very fashionable hat etc; take lots of breaks and nap during our lunch break if possible.
    I'm well aware that to anyone reading this it might seem like I'm utterly miserable and having a terrible time. But I'm really, really not. I might not be feeling my best at times, but despite that I'm still having the best adventure of my life. I so badly want to be able to complete it and I will do everything I can to make sure that that happens. I'm not about to give in anytime soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment