Friday 14 August 2015

Wednesday 8th July

11:22

So last night came complete with even more drama... I started feeling really sick again during dinner and laid my head on my arms on the table, and ended up falling asleep. When I woke up, I was really thirsty and because I'd been feeling sick I hadn't really drunk enough in a while so I was pretty dehydrated and felt really sleepy and dazed. Gemma called Dave over who took me outside for some fresh air and sat me down on a bench with Gemma, making me keep drinking water and Dioralyte. At first I was really dazed and confused and didn't really know where I was or who I was with, which made me quite panicky, but soon enough I calmed down as I gradually became rehydrated (after a lot more water had been poured over my head too). As soon as I started getting sarcastic again everyone knew that I was back to normal!
     This morning has been very chilled again, just sitting at the end of the pier relaxing with some of the other non-divers. However, I did have my first major bag-packing issue this morning as I just wanted to get it done quickly but my kit thought otherwise and would not all go back into that pesky rucksack!! But with a little bit of help we got there in the end...
    Sometime after lunch we're being picked up by boat and heading back for another night in Kota Kinabalu, and then tomorrow morning we're on our way to Camp Bongkud for the next section of our expedition!

8:07

After lunch we left Gaya almost straight away - but not before getting to spot some monkeys! We were just sitting in camp and then Manny came and told us to come and see, so we all followed him and got to see some real wild monkeys climbing the trees and scampering across the ground. Despite how close to nature we are here it's sometimes easy to forget that there is so much wildlife all around us everyday, but seeing the monkeys up close just there in their natural habitat, not caged up in a zoo is so awe-inspiring. One of the reasons we're out here is to try and help save the habitat of these amazing creatures, so being able to see them in the state they're supposed to be in was so great.
     I was a bit concerned about the boat ride back because of how seasick I felt yesterday, but luckily there was no trace of seasickness and I was back to being able to enjoy coasting along the waves.
    We're in a different hostel tonight (this one is even nicer!) and we're currently all sat on the landing of the first floor where most of our rooms are, enjoying the air con! We had dinner in a local restaurant called Party Play and the food was so good. We all laughed a lot and had a really nice time and I feel like I've got some energy back for once, so I'm trying to make the most of it, but without wearing myself out again too much, especially as we're up really early in the morning to leave.
    After a week I really feel like I've settled in. Of course I'm finding things difficult, as I expected I would, but I'm really happy with the fact that I'm enjoying myself and I can laugh through the tears as well!


     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment